New in Milan or planning your adventure? Get started with these Frequently Asked Questions about Milan and the answers to kick off your experience!
- What country is Milan in?
- What religion is widely practiced in Italy?
- Do locals speak English in Milan?
Largely yes, compared to other Italian cities.
- What currency is spent in Milan?
- Do I need to get a Visa to visit Milan?
It depends on your nationality, check with your local embassy to find out if you need a visa. However, if you hold a Schengen Visa, you are allowed to visit Milan without a Visa.
- When is the best time to visit Milan?
During summer excluding August – it’s too hot. April to May and September to October are also good times. Note that practically everywhere is also closed in August – due to Ferragosto.
- What’s the weather like in Milan?
Milan has four seasons: Summer is from June through to August. Autumn is during the months of September, October, and November and winter is from December to February.
- What are the nearest tourist towns to Milan?
Como, Garda, Maggiore, Turin, Florence, Brescia, Bergamo, Bologna, Pisa, Monza, Verona, Mantova and Venice.
- Is Milan a safe city?
Largely yes, you can read my post on Safety in Milan.
- What are the best countries to visit on a budget from Milan?
They are many countries you can visit on a budget like Paris. See all the budget countries near Milan.
- What are the taxi services available in Milan?
RadioTaxi Milano 02-6969, MyTaxi, Taxicab 02-8585, Easy Taxi, Taxiblu 02-4040 and Uber
- How can I get to Milan from Malpensa Airport?
By train, bus or taxi. Read my guide on how to get to the city centre from Milan Malpensa Airport.
- How can I get to Milan city centre from Linate Airport?
By bus 73 from Linate Airport going towards Duomo MM or a taxi.
- How can I get to Milan from Bergamo Airport?
By train, bus or taxi.
Questions about Milan Part 2
- How do I get the Permesso di Soggiorno?
You will need to obtain it 8 days within your arrival in Milan. See my step by step guide on how to apply for a Permesso di Soggiorno.
- How long does it take to get the Permesso di Soggiorno?
Usually between 30 to 90 days after thumb printing.
- Where can I get the Marca da Bollo stamp?
At a Tabacchi.
- How can I send items outside or within Milan?
Through Poste Italiane (Italian Post office).
- How much is the cost of living in Milan?
On an extremely tight budget, €500 should cover accommodation in a shared room + feeding costs monthly.
- Can I see Milan in one day?
Yes you can, see my one day in Milan, do-it-yourself tour.
- Can I visit Museums for free in Milan?
Yes, many museums in Milan are free on the first Sunday of the month. See the free museums in Milan.
- What food is Milan known for?
Risotto alla Milanese, Panettone and Osso buco are three of the famous dishes. Read my post on Local Milanese Food.
- What can I eat in Milan?
The traditional meals like Risotto or international dishes are available all around the city. See my guide on local dishes to eat in Milan.
- Where can I eat cheaply in Milan?
At Trattorias, they serve homemade meals at very pocket-friendly prices.
- What are the best things to do in Milan?
Sightseeing, aperitivo, and shopping.
Questions about Milan Part 3
- What is Milan best-known for?
Fashion – it’s called the fashion capital.
- What are the best ways to travel from Milan to other European countries?
By air, train, or bus.
- What are the famous tourist points in Milan?
Duomo Cathedral at Piazza del Duomo, Galleria Vittori Emmanuele, Corso Sempione, Brera, Porta Garibaldi, and Navigli.
- Where can I watch Football in English?
There are places like the English Football Pub near Duomo.
- Where can I watch movies in English?
The Space Cinema, Anteo Palazzo del Cinema, and Arcobaleno Film Center.
- Where are the best aperitivo spots in Milan?
Navigli and Corso Sempione.
- Where can I buy fresh foods in Milan?
At the open markets.
- Where can I get Asian, African, and Intercontinental recipes in Milan?
At Intercontinental stores, China Town at via Paolo Sarpi, open markets, and supermarkets.
- How do you say “I do not speak Italian” in Italian?
Io non parlo Italiano
- Where can I shop in Milan?
Corso Buenos Aires, La Rinascente, Via Torino, Piaza del Duomo, Galleria Vittorio Emmanuele and Via Montenapleone.
- What can I do at night in Milan?
Aperitivo, movies, clubbing, game night at Biccoca Village.
- Where are the best places to stay in Milan?
The city centre axis.
- Is Milan expensive to live in?
Yes, it is ranked among one of the most expensive cities to live in – even more expensive than it’s capital – Rome.
- Can you rent a car in Milan?
Yes. Services like DriveNow and Enjoy are available.
- Can you rent a bicycle in Milan?
Yes, check the City of Milan’s bicycle service called BikeMi.
- Are there second-hand or vintage stores in Milan?
Yes, there are places like Wait and See, Cavalli e Nastri, Share located near Loreto Metro Station, and Humana nel Mondo near Duomo.
Questions about Milan Part 4
- Is there a beach in Milan?
Milan doesn’t have a beach. However, you can visit nearby towns in Liguria region that have beaches. Look here for Beaches near Milan.
- Where can I swim in Milan?
There are many public and private swimming pools you can enjoy a cool bath during the hot summer months.
- How Far is Luguria from Milan?
It’s a two and a half-hour drive from Milan by car; about three to four hours by regional train; and one hour 30 minutes by fast train.
- What days are the open or flea market in Milan?
Several and different days by location.
- What public transportations systems are available in Milan?
Metro, Train, Tram, Bus, and Bicycle Service.
- How is the Nightlife in Milan?
Great, if you know the right places to go. Read my guide on Nightlife in Milan
- What is the Italian Way of life?
Italians have certain attributes peculiar to their culture. Read about the Italian Way of life.
- When is the Milan Fashion Week?
Fashion week generally refers to the womenswear shows that happen twice per year in February and September. Read about my Milan Fashion Week experience.
- When is the Milan Design Week: Fuorisalone?
Usually in April
- When is Expo in Milan?
The date varies yearly.
I hope you found these questions about Milan and the answers helpful. If you have more questions about Milan, drop them in the comment box and I will answer as soon as possible. Do enjoy your time in Milan. A presto!