9 Quick Easy Steps to Apply for a Permesso di Soggiorno Provvisorio

permesso di soggiorno provvisorio

Permesso di Soggiorno Provvisorio allows you to travel to other countries other than your home country while you are awaiting the renewal of your Permesso di Soggiorno. If you’ve currently submitted your application for the Permesso di Soggiorno at the Post Office or at a Patro Nato in Milan, your appointment may be in three to six months from the day you’ve applied, or less – if you are very lucky.

According to the Portale Immigrazione website, “those who have a residence permit being renewed can only travel between Italy and their country of origin, however showing the receipt of application along with the valid passport at the border“.

If you need to travel to another country other than your home (and within the Schengen Area), then you must request the Permesso di Soggiorno Provvisorio, that is a Provisional Permesso di Soggiorno or Temporary Permit as it is often called. Note, even if you are having just a stop over at a Schengen area.

From experience, last year I went to Germany while I was awaiting the renewal of my Permesso di Soggiorno. The first thing I did was to go to the Questura where I had the appointment for the renewal of my Permesso di Soggiorno for up-to-date information. The officials at the Questura gave me a document in Italian listing all the necessary documents and stating under what conditions the Permesso is granted.

Next, I went back to the Questura with all the documents requested below to obtain my permesso di soggiorno provvisorio:

  1. The residence permit I am already in possession of.
  2. The receipt documenting the proof of the renewal of the residence permit (that is my ricevuta/receipt from the post office).
  3. My international passport or other equivalent documents (travel document for stateless or foreigners, travel document for refugees, navigation booklet for seafarers, area navigation document, United Nations pass).
  4. Hotel booking (paid).
  5. Flight ticket to Germany (paid).
  6. Proof of ticket to the event I am attending. In your case it could be: a letter from the employer if it is a business trip, a letter from the school principal if it is a trip for educational reasons, other tickets and so on.
  7. Proof of return (I came back by road).
  8. 4 photographs in a format suitable for photo signaling.
  9. A marca da bollo stamp of sixteen euros.

I went back to my Questura with all the above-listed documents and I was briefly interviewed, then given an appointment to go to Questura Montebello a day before my trip for the Permesso di Soggiorno Provvisorio. I had to spend the whole day at the Questura Montebello to get the Permesso Provvisorio which is in form of a paper document and valid for one month, even though I was spending just three days in Germany.

On my way back, at the border check in Switzerland, I was delayed because apparently the officials at the border are not aware of the Pernesso di Soggiorno Provvisorio that allows non-European citizens to travel through Schengen Areas while awaiting the renewal of their Permesso di Soggiorno.

The officials at the border had to make some calls and I had to show them some proof like my blog, Instagram page and university student dashboard to reiterate the fact that I was only passing through to go to Italy. Luckily for me, I had visited Switzerland in 2018, so I showed them some pictures from that trip too.

So if anyone told you you can visit Schengen Areas with just your Rucevuta, that’s false. Except of course you have some rights – like holding a US passport that allows you three months to visit some European countries without a Visa, then you surely do need a Permesso di Soggiorno Provvisorio.

Recommended Articles


  1. Thank you for this very helpful blog post. I live in Milan, and I do have a US passport. My flight is June 4th out of Madrid, and am sure my new permesso card will not arrive in time. So I don’t need to apply for a pds provvisorio? I tried when I went to my questura appointment for the renewal, but they said it is only granted if it’s for work or health issues, despite already having flights purchased (it is for a wedding).

    Any advice would be helpful! Thank you!

    1. I have an American friend who was able to travel within Europe with just her American passport three years ago while she was waiting for her Permesso to be renewed. She told me Americans can travel and stay in Europe for up to 180 days without visa. Just incase you are curious, she successfully travelled without issues, and it was for vacation reason.

      1. Thank you so much!

  2. can I travel with my new born baby to my home country with Permesso di Soggiorno receipt?
    my baby has home country passport and Permesso di Soggiorno application submitted.

    1. Hi Salinder. I guess you should be able to, since one can usually travel home with his/her receipt. But I recommend asking directly from the Questura where you have/had the appointment. They are in the best position to answer your question and tell you what needs to be done to fly (especially if you have a layover at an European country).

  3. […] If you need to travel to another country other than your home country (within the Schengen Area) immediately after borders open up, then you may need to request for a Permesso di Soggiorno Provvisorio. […]

    1. Hi Hellen I’m also a student in Milan and would like to ask you something. I plan to travel to Malta on july to visit my sister but I would probably not have the permesso and also my student visa would no longer be valid by that day. However I, as a colombian citizen, can also travel in Schengen zone without a visa as a tourist. We are allowed to stay 90 days as tourists and I would like to know if this time starts counting when the student visa expires. Thank you!!!

Share your thoughts

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.